Denis MacShane MP in today’s Telegraph:
Islamist politics is now one of the most important issues for the future of democracy. Getting the right answers will define the world’s future.
Crikey! Must be serious.
Reassuring to know that HMG will, according to six Professors of Law at Cambridge, soon have given itself the powers, should they feel it necessary in order adequately to deal with this threat, by delegated legislation (i.e. by what used to be called in Russia, ukase) to
- create a new offence of incitement to religious hatred, punishable with two years’ imprisonment;
- curtail or abolish jury trial;
- permit the Home Secretary to place citizens under house arrest;
- allow the Prime Minister to sack judges;
- rewrite the law on nationality and immigration;
- “reform” Magna Carta (or what remains of it).
and all by delegated legislation so they don’t need to bother Parliament with such matters.
Technorati tags: Civi Liberties, UK, Abolition of Parliament Bill, Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill